Sunday, September 2, 2012

Night Photography

I am  beginning to love night photography.  There is something about the range of colours that are captured, the orange glow of street lights glowing like stars that I am beginning to find adds a whole new dimension to my photographs.  I have now obtained a cable release and coupled with my tripod I am able to keep my shutter open for as long as it takes to find the right exposure.

Given that Australia’s first bridge fountain has now been launched by Parramatta Council I decided that this would be a good place to practice my night photography.  The bridge fountain also has a number of environmental benefits to the river, helping improve water quality and providing a better environment for native fish.  There are two levels of water treatment for the fountain water – a filtration unit to remove particles and an ultraviolet light source to kill any bacteria in the water. Local air quality will also be improved with falling water removing particulates and pollution from the air.  The  animated lighted creates an amazing kaleidoscope of colour and I found I was not the only photographer braving the wintry chill to capture these incredible images.

I love photographing water.  It allows me to combine two of my favourite passions to convey a story about our local rivers.  Given that the Hawkesbury River is right on my door step, my next stop was Brooklyn.  The images were quite different to the splashes of colour I captured in  Parramatta but using my headlights I captured a few images of  life around the waters of Brooklyn….including the famous Mooney Mooney bridge..

"Some photographers take reality...and impose the domination of their own
thought and spirit. Others come before reality more tenderly and a photograph
to them is an instrument of love and revelation.
"
-Ansel Adams-

No comments:

Post a Comment