Sunday, June 3, 2012

Photographing Brooklyn for a Photo Rally

I have a new challenge to meet at my photography club – taking photos from a disposable camera for the competition we refer to as a photo rally.  Those of us who had expressed a desire to be part of the photo rally have each been given a disposable camera and asked to take photos of a number of scenarios at Brooklyn.  The scenarios include the people of Brooklyn, Parsely Bay, the fish cleaning area and the general life around this very picturesque spot just north of Sydney.

Brooklyn & Parsley Bay

We have arrived on a Saturday morning on what has turned out to be a beautiful day.  I feel quite challenged by the little camera I am holding in my hands.  I can’t adjust anything – it is just a little point and shoot but the intent of the competition is to level the playing field for everyone.  Our first stop is for fish and chips (surprise, surprise – we have arrived at lunch time) and then we venture on a little walk along the foreshore and I start my shoot.  It is a gorgeous day and I get some great photos..but there is no camera display to see what I’ve got.  No chance to take a hundred shots and choose the best ones.   Before I know it, the 27 shots are taken and so I have some fun with my digital SLR as well.  I have now turned in the camera at my club and in a few weeks we will get our prints returned to us.  After that, I get to choose the best and enter them in to the club competition for the photo rally.  I can’t wait…but in the meantime, I have posted a few shots that I took on the day with my regular 500D Canon so you get an idea of what I was working with, including a beautiful sunset on the way home.

IMG_8181

“Ships in harbour are safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.”  John Shield

No comments:

Post a Comment