Sunday, June 3, 2012

Head On Photo Competition

We had planned to spend Sunday at Crosslands catching up with our neighbourhood friends but it has turned out to be an incredibly wet weekend so we postpone the plans for a picnic and head out to Paddington to the Australian Centre for Photography and visit the exhibition highlighting  the winners of the Head On Portrait Prize.  I have had my eye on this exhibition for a couple of years but never really got my act together to submit one of my own portraits – the genre that is probably my favourite.   I have copied the images that won from the website but there were many others that caught our fancy.

(Photos copied from website - http://headon.com.au/)

Chris Budgeon

David Mmanley

 

 

 

 

 

 

Louise Whelan

Tracey Nearmy

 

 

 

 

 

I think my favourite was the image of the man in the top right photo – a photo capturing the starkness of a boarding house in Surry House that he calls home.

I also loved the exhibition by David Alan Harvey, an internationally renowned photographer presenting a collection of work capturing the vibrancy and cultural energy of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  The photos, shot over a two year period are meant to show the raw, real and passionate side of Rio.  I am quite excited to learn he has been documenting cultural storied around the world for a living and feel inspired by his work.

We have a late lunch and spend the afternoon at a Paddington Cafe, sipping hot chocolates and reading up on our respective interests.  I am inspired to capture my own portraits of Steve in the interesting light of the cafe as I dream about my own future as a portrait photographer…

Steve & Nil 20121

“A man finds room in the few square inches of his face for the traits of all his ancestors; for the expression of all his history, and his wants”. ~Ralph Waldo

No comments:

Post a Comment