Monday, July 18, 2011

Author Talks – Daniella Brodsky

I’ve decided that If I want to be a writer I have to start attending events where I get to meet other writers. I need to start mingling with people who have actually made it in the arts world.  Which is  how Steve and I decide to sign up for one of the author talks at the Hornsby Library.  The talk today is by the author Daniella Brodsky whose book Vivian Rising has recently been published in Australia.  She was born in New York and has recently moved Down Under to live in Canberra.   It is amazing to think she has published 10 books and has already experienced my new dream…that of seeing one of her books made into a movie.

We are there early and get an introduction to her.  We chat and she asks about my exhibition.  Yes, my photos are still up at the library.  It is very special to be attending an event at a venue that is actually hosting my exhibition.  I’m not a star yet..but I have taken a small step.  My travel movie plays while we wait for people to come in and I hear whispers about my photos..and the journey I’ve been on…

The evening commences with a Q&A session.  Daniella talks about her style of writing and how important it is to feel a connection to her characters and to understand what makes them tick.  This resonates with me as of course it is how I take photographs as well.  She talks about the importance of writing everyday and how researching plays a big part in the stories she tells.  She tells us there is wealth of information at the National Library of Canberra (don’t rely solely on Google) and mentions the exciting search facility Trove, which is transforming the way she writes.  Much of what she says rings true for me.  She finds travel invigorating and a real inspiration for her writing and says her style is quite organic in that she doesn’t really have a plan when she starts writing.  Her characters develop as she writes and as she researches the situations she places them in.  She bases her characters on real life people and herself although of course she does change them to make sure they become interesting reading material.  I take notes furiously and file this knowledge away for future use.  It is fun to sit and listen to someone so young who has become so successful and it gives me inspiration and courage to tackle the competitive yet compelling world that writers inhabit. 

It has been a fun evening and I certainly want to attend as many of these events as possible.  After the talk, there is a book signing and wine and sandwiches laid out for all those who attended.  Many of the people browse the exhibition and I chat to some of the attendees who ask about my travels and the work on display.  We say our goodbyes to Daniella and thank her for an entertaining evening.. P1010172

“When we engage in what we are naturally suited to do, our work takes on the quality of play and it is play that stimulates creativity.” –  Linda Naiman

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, yup this paragraph is really pleasant and I have learned lot
    of things from it regarding blogging. thanks.

    My site ... google keyword tool

    ReplyDelete