Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Different Perspective of a Cathedral…

I’ve always tried to look at the world from a different angle...but thinking outside the square does not come naturally to most people I know.  The world is so much more interesting if we look at it upside down or from a skewed angle..but most people prefer the black and white…the straight up and down.  I learnt recently that to truly get a sense of the balance and composition of  photograph I needed to look at it upside down!  Who would have thought…

I’ve learnt that by stooping low, by looking side ways we can actually see order in the chaos around us!   We can begin to see the world in 3 dimensions rather than the flat 2 D perspective we get when we look at it front on.

Here are a few photos I took of St Mary’s Cathedral in the city.  We went there after a late lunch and started by sitting inside and listening to the beautiful organ music that filled the air. The biggest lesson I am learning with my photography is to have patience.  We can’t truly convey the sense of a place if we don’t spend the time getting a sense of the place…taking the time to understand what makes it tick.  This is true for the people around us as well. 

It was almost dusk when we came outside and set up the tripod to start shooting the exterior.  As the lights came on outside, the structure took on a beautiful orange glow and I share a few of the photos from the cathedral which I hope will inspire you to look at the world from a different perspective…

No comments:

Post a Comment