Sunday, January 18, 2015

Fate or Destiny at Red Fish Cafe Gallery - Brooklyn

2015 sees the Fate or Destiny exhibition find a new home at the Red Fish Gallery in Brooklyn.  We met Pete and Myff through a Brooklyn resident who visited the Hornsby author talk and through that one incident, many connections have now been forged.  We’ve sold a few images at the North Sydney
Pop Up, so we have new frames made before bringing the images to Brooklyn.  I’ve decided to mix it up a little and the exhibition here also includes some images from my first exhibition, Connections.  It’s fun to see some of the old images on the walls again and the exhibition is really well received in Brooklyn and books and an image are sold within a few days of opening.

Pete and Myff have organised an opening for us on the 18th of January.  It is a Sunday afternoon and a hot one but the cafe draws in quite a few people and I enjoy the low-key atmosphere.  I’ve drafted a small speech and share some of the ideas behind the exhibition.  My art is not just about putting up some beautiful photographs but rather about conveying ideas.  I am glad that so far, most of the people who have come to view the exhibition have been really engaged by the writing as much as they have enjoyed the photos. 

I talk about the essence of Fate or Destiny and the 3 things that I believe are part of going on this journey.  The first step is about understanding yourself.  The second is about having the courage to articulate your dreams and the third about taking some action.  I conclude my talk by saying I hoped my work inspired people to take a risk, whatever that might be and end my talk with a quote from Henry David Thoreau.

“It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.”

To me this is the essence of photography.  It doesn’t matter what gear you have, whether you can take a technically perfect photograph or where you have been...if you have nothing to say through your photo, then is there any point in taking it?








“If your eyes could speak, what would they say?"


No comments:

Post a Comment